Astute Graphics creates these amazing Illustrator plugins that were 60% off for Black Friday. I purchased a few including Texturino, which allows live texture masking on vector work. I tested it out last night on an old zombie hand illustration I’d done years ago, and I already love this little tool.
This is a digital painting I created for my girlfriend’s birthday using my Wacom tablet and a variety of watercolor brushes.
Round 1 of the Kushmoji library was far more photo-realistic, but was still developed exclusively in Illustrator using masks and blurs. The final direction had a more stylistic look and utilized patterns to create highlights and shadows. The change helped in numerous ways ,including significantly cutting down on the time to make each icon, and reducing the file size of each PNG which was necessary for the application’s code.
One of my clients needed a flannel pattern superimposed on a product. Instead of using their low-res swatch, I created a vector pattern and overlayed a flannel texture on top.
Just here watching life. Trying to build discipline. Trying to grow professionally and emotionally.
Just a quick weekend illustration now that my favorite season has arrived. We’ve already been to the pumpkin patch, roasted a whole chicken, and lit our fireplace.
Man, I just went through every file on every hard drive I’ve had since college. I backed up everything on two separate TB devices. Found this guy hiding in a college art folder. I used to love making these silly illustrations…I don’t put pen to paper nearly enough these days. Maybe someday soon I’ll develop the discipline to get back into it regularly.
This was one of the first projects I ever worked on in college. I think the assignment was to make a stylized animal in Illustrator. Not bad, even (holy shit!) 11 years later.
I just shot some product photos for JoyGum, a new THC-infused gum company. Here’s a couple:
I take it back, THIS may be the best photo I’ve ever taken. From our 3-month trip to Ecuador:
Batch Extracts is a vaporizer line by Medicine Man Technologies. The idea was to mimic local whiskey distilleries and make small-batch cannabis oil extractions, hence the name.
Other brand attributes included Artisan, Exclusive, and Refined.
Here is a look into the logo development:
Here’s one of the first shirt designs for Cheery on Top. I’ll order samples of this shirt from Printful over the next few days.
Today I went to therapy and it re-motivated me to work on this project I’ve had on the shelf for a while. I want to start a clothing company that focuses on mental health and eating disorders.
It’s called Cheery on Top and I’m going to crunch numbers today and figure out what it would cost to launch through Printful.
Gonna move forward… fears be damned! So what if it fails?
Another week working on fake Photoshop comps. This umbrella isn’t even real!
Neither is the tape on this shotgun!
Bad excuse: Been too busy to remember to blog. I need to push myself to do it regularly.
Freelancing is often feast or famine; sometimes I have to turn work away, other times I struggle to find jobs. I’m currently in Feast Mode and hoping it lasts, or at least doesn’t fall off a cliff.
This is 76-year old Sharon, who traveled from Oklahoma with her daughter, Shondra, to experience legal cannabis in Colorado. This is utter bliss and family bonding!
Just a pizza I made from Sculpey. I dug the detail in the pepperoni.
This illustration started off as a rejected concept for a logo proposal. The company was a major player in the cannabis industry, and we discussed using a lion to represent strength and leadership. Ultimately they decided to pursue a more scientific direction.
I kept the old sketches and created this image independently.
As a bonus, here's where that branding project landed:
I'm adding a new logo to my portfolio today: Inside Out Landscape Design. It's my mother's friend's company where she specializes in both interior flower arrangements and exterior landscaping. This one takes the crown for long-term procrastination... I think I was asked to create a logo 4+ years ago. But it wasn't paid and I didn't have any great ideas at first, so I pushed it off and convinced myself I had better things to do.
I finally had an "aha" moment and combined the "i" and the "O" characters into one self-contained mark, changing the dot to a stylized flower. This was the only direction I presented to my client and she loved it.
I'm glad it's finally done and I'm happy to help out a small business. It should have never taken this long.
Here's a thing I faked in Photoshop today. One my clients is transitioning into a re-brand and doesn't have the physical items to photograph for their catalogue. They brought me in to build up these comps into realistic depictions. I love it – it's like digital painting... building shapes and textures, adjusting hues, highlights, and shadows.
Check below for my version, their OG file, an asset breakdown, and a closeup.
One valuable trick I learned from Sean at Grit back in the day: add noise to introduce a grainy texture to otherwise flat shapes, especially vector art.
1. Add a new layer, Edit>Fill with 50% Grey
2. Filter>Noise>Add Noise, make sure Gaussian and Monochromatic are selected, then adjust percentage to something barely fuzzy
3. Change the blending mode to Overlay and adjust the opacity as needed